This service is free for a limited number of 2500 map views per day, past this number you must sign up for the Google Maps API for Work.
What can you do with Google Maps API v3?
- add a polyline to indicate a route
- add a polygon to indicate a boundary
- add shapes for focus areas
- add symbols, map icons, etc
- add overlays
- import KML and GeoRSS files
- change the default map type: ROADMAP, TERRAIN, etc.
- allow users to get directions
- retrieve elevations for specific points
- enable street view
Google's Beginner's Guide can be found at:
The complete reference guide can be found at:
Google has a service called Google My Maps. It is a tool for easily creating custom maps to share and publish on line. Google My Maps allows you to upload KML files to display some custom features and overlays. You can add these maps to your own website with the embed code provided.